The State of Colorado offers benefits to permanent full-time and part-time employees and their eligible
dependents. Currently, temporary and seasonal employees are not eligible for benefits.
This year, Open Enrollment is mandatory and takes place from April 14 through May 18, 2020. If you do not
elect benefits during the Open Enrollment period this year, you will not have coverage as of July 1, 2020.
Eligible dependents include:
• Your legal spouse or civil union partner
• Your natural, adopted, or stepchildren up to age 26
• Children of any age, if incapable of self-support due to mental or physical disability and if that disability was verified by the carrier prior to age 26. This statute trumps information found within the Benefits Guide.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to provide proof of eligibility for any new dependent you add to your
coverage. The State of Colorado may conduct a dependent eligibility audit at any time.
Enrolling & Making Changes
The choices you make when you first become eligible are in effect for the remainder of the plan year, July 1 through June 30, 2021 (applies to pretax elections only).
You have three opportunities to enroll in or make changes to your benefits:
- Within 31 days of your hire date
- During the annual open enrollment period
- Within 31 days of a Qualifying Life Event. Examples* include:
- Marriage, divorce, or legal separation
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Death of a dependent
- Loss or gain of other health coverage for you and/or dependents
- Change in employment status
- Change in Medicaid/Medicare eligibility for you or a dependent
- Receipt of a Qualified Medical Child Support Order